【A】
Ben:O.K. So, where do you think we can save more money?
好,那么,你觉得我们可以在哪些方面省钱?
Shirly:Well, we could eat in more. That $300 for entertainment is mostly going to restaurants.
哦,我们可以多在家里吃饭。300元娱乐费大都花在餐馆了。
Ben:Yeah, that’s a good idea, and you like to cook. What about the books?
是的,这个主意不错,况且你也喜欢做饭。那么书呢?
Shirly:No, I need my books.
那个不行,我得买书。
Ben:Come on, if we save more money we can retire earlier, and you’ll actually have time to read all those books you buy.
算了吧,如果我们多存些钱就可以早一点退休,那样你才有时间看完你买的所有书。
Shirly:Well, what about the $50 you spent on a shirt? You could’ve gotten something for less.
那么,你50元买一件衬衣呢?你可以买件更便宜的。
Ben:O.K. Let’s compromise, if you agree to only spend $75 on books, I’ll agree to only spend $40 for my next shirt.
好了,我们妥协吧。如果你同意买书只用75元的话,我同意下一件衬衣只用40元。
Shirly:All right. That sounds fair.
好的,这样才公平。
【B】
Shirly:We need to figure out how much money we’re spending and what we’re spending it on.
我们要算算我们花了多少钱而且都花在什么地方了。
Ben:Why?
为什么?
Shirly:Well, I think we could be saving more.
哦,我想我们该多存一些钱了。
Ben:Really, well, o.k. Get the receipts out.
真的,哦,好的。把收据拿出来。
Shirly:Let’s see. We spent $700 dollars for our home loan payment, $400 on groceries, $75 on utilities, $250 on gasoline, $100 on books, and $300 on entertainment last month.
让我看看。上个月有房屋贷款700元,食品杂货400元,家具75元,汽油费250元,书100元和300元的娱乐消费。
Ben:That’s $1825.
总共是1825元。
Shirly:We put $500 into the savings account, and $750 into our stock account.
我们存了500元到储蓄账户。还存了750元到资本账户。
Ben:$3075. Our paychecks our $3300, combined. That means we don’t have any receipts for $225.
那就是3075元。我们的薪水加起来是3300元,那意味着有一项225元的支出没有收据。
Shirly:Right
对。